Monday, March 20, 2006

A little perplexed. (Part one of two.)

I often search law blogs. Law has always been my biggest passion.

I peered at one today that made my hair stand on end. It wasn't the first, but I think it may be the worst.

Now let me first say that this author isn't alone. I have a whole folder in "my favorites" of links to law blogs that I thought were interesting until I realized just how unbelievably rude and self righteous some of them are. So each time a former favorite would just get to the point where it cut into people way too deep, I'd move the link to this folder and quit reading it.

A recent example of this is the following that was posted here:
"Do -NOT- Email Me
Apparently I have to make it *crystal* clear for some people. I intentionally do not list an e-mail address anywhere on this blog. I turned off the comments because people were using them to ask me questions about studying for the Bar Exam. So why on earth do some people think I would want them to figure out my e-mail address by whatever means and e-mail me a question?

Hello, I'm working at a large law firm. It's not like I have a lot of free time. I passed the Bar. I don't think about it anymore. I created this blog for my personal entertainment/diversion, not to help other people study or answer anyone's questions, except when I had a whim and it was while I was still studying.

If you want advice about the Bar, buy Eve's forthcoming book. But whatever you do, don't e-mail me."

Now this one is especially precious, because if you look back to an extremely early post in February 2005, this author clearly addresses the idea of GETTING advice from others, who have presumably passed the bar exam and/or are employed. This, mind you, BEFORE she's well into her study program and has taken the exam. This is what she had to say: "Thanks for taking the time to comment and offer the advice, and I know everyone else who reads the blog appreciates it too!"

The word in there is "too." "Everyone else...appreciates it too." Too means "also." Although she's not soliciting advice, she's admitting in plain English that she's appreciative of it, and makes no mistake about identifying it as being welcome.

What a contrast to a year later after she's passed the exam! Holy mother of God. Now it's "Hello. I'm working at a large law firm. It's not like I have a lot of free time." How dare people expect her to give back to the world after she's taken all the advice and encouragement she needed?

People, this to me, is a pure and classic example of an unmistakeable BITCH.

No, I've not studied completely for the bar, although I have quite a few books on it I've parused and I'm contemplating the activity for later this calendar year. But, I have studied and worked my ass off for everywhere my career has gone. All. On. My. Own. I didn't even publish a site telling the general public that I'd appreciate advice and/or encouragement from anyone else who has made it as an accomplished female engineer in the automotive industry. Do you know what I consider is the best part of my career thus far? It's sure not all the new technology I've worked on, or any of the cost saves I've implemented, or any new material changes, etc. etc. Nope. It's all the people I got to MENTOR and HELP. That's where my biggest, most important successes are. When I see an intern learning how to properly read a print or model a part, and I have a chance to help her/him out. When I see an admin struggling to understand customer policies and expectations and I have a chance to explain it in translated laymans terms. That's where life is rewarding in ANY career.

As a matter of fact, it was just today that I had a young engineer review a part I specified for him to use, and he wrote back saying a portion of the component was not sized correctly. He was reading the print wrong. So I explained to him that he was looking at dimensions for something else, and the original part would be fine. He was understandably embarrassed. Those are the kind of engineering mistakes that cost companies MONEY, and make cars so darned expensive. When he expressed his embarrassment, I told him that it would be our secret, and not to worry about it. We all made mistakes every once in awhile. Now the point here is not that I have something to hold over his head, or that I caught a mistake, or that he made a mistake. The point is that now this human being knows he can TRUST and DEPEND on me. This, friends, is so God damn priceless in this world we live in. As Norm said on Cheers, "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing MilkBone underwear." How many people do YOU know that have made it up the corporate ladders faster by knocking others down and pointing out shortcomings so as to make themselves look better?

Does this 2005 California Bar Exam starlet think that she's a better attorney for publicly humiliating people who had respect and admiration enough to contact her for advice? Because if she does, she's wrong. It makes her a sorry case indeed. A sorry excuse for a human with a heart.

And one last note - blogs have a specific use and purpose in this world. They are used for networking, friendships, etc. In a nutshell, that's COMMUNICATION. If you don't want your blog to be used as a means of communication, check the boxes that make it unsearchable. Do not pass forward the link to it. Better yet, make it a private blog and give your closest friends and family the password. But don't start out welcoming public opinion and advice for your own betterment, then tell the public to kiss your ass when you've finally acheived the goals you set out to accomplish with the advice and help you received in the first place. Shoot, if she didn't want people to read and communicate anymore, why did she continue to post? (Remember: "It's not like I have a lot of free time...") Take the effing blog down and move on with your big, successful, and likely lonely and miserable, new career. Good luck when you get disbarred because ethics is not a strong point for you.

Oh, wait. That's right. She took the CALIFORNIA bar exam. Nevermind. They take anyone. If anyone reading feels like practicing law in California, don't worry. the whole curriculum is offered ONLINE. Seriously. No lie. I looked for a law program that had SOME classes online, just to make life a little easier, and I was morbidly shocked to find an entire law degree online, but only if you want to practice in California. Why? Oh, easy. California doesn't require the same ACCREDITATION standards as other states do. That made me look into the differences between California and other states with regard to the bar, history, standards, etc. Let me just tell you that while no bar exam is easy, the California deal is the easiest. Our little 2005 Cali Bar Exam starlet didn't mention taking any OTHER bar exams.

I got way off track here. My point was just to share an example of the handful of these law blogs are loved for some time and then get banished into this vast abyss of a folder I have for their safekeeping after I'm too disgusted by the authors to continue being an avid reader.

The whole blog that began this rant shall now be the topic of part two of this post to appear shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home