Thursday, March 16, 2006

engulfed in sadness and uncertainty

I mentioned the "goings on" at my workplace many months ago. I couldn't risk even putting in print that we'd been acquired. But now it's been announced and press released, so it's fair game.

Last Friday, two wonderfully talented women were let go. Today, there have been 5 executives that I know of, including my supervisor. My supervisor reported directly to the VP, who was also acting President, who also jumped ship about 3 weeks ago. So I have nobody to report to. I will continue business as usual, but this is very uncomfortable.

Many tasks are going to be seriously hampered. Such as... Getting purchase requisitions approved, and the like. There is literally nobody "above" me in this building anymore.

My boss was a great person. I'll miss him a ton, and hope that he brings a copy of my resume with him where ever he goes... Just in case.

What an uncomfortable environment this has become. I'll hold onto the good old days with both hands, but still, this sucks.

The potluck turned out alright. I ran up to the local grocery and got a bucket of chicken. It worked out great. Of course, it was a strange atmosphere, and given the crew that I work with, the experience was peppered with jokes about it being the "last supper" and "an opportunity for HR to pack our desks upstairs."

Hey, if you can't laugh, what are you left with?

2 Comments:

Blogger Maven said...

Having a good, healthy sense of humor is key to surviving in this world. My sense of humor has fared me well.

Better to laugh than cry. I think it's more constructive than crying... despite the fact that our first instinct would actually BE to cry.

Workplace transition is never easy.

Thu Mar 16, 03:53:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

Work can sometimes suck the life out of you.

Tue Mar 21, 10:31:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home