Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Attachment

I am not a "materialistic" person. I don't desire "things." It's difficult for me to make "wish lists" for birthdays or Christmas, even when asked. My wedding gift registry was all of two pages, and I had help.

But I learned something about myself yesterday that surprised me. I attach memories and emotions to material things. I don't hoard "things" or hold onto something in effort to hold onto a related memory. However, if something has a bad memory or a hurtful memory associated with it, it comes back with a vengeance when I see the stuff again. Good, bad, happy, sad, it doesn't matter.

I've been cleaning. And I'm not anywhere close to 50% done. But I'm working on it.

I opened a box yesterday and pulled out glasses from my honeymoon after my first marriage. Instantly, I was right back in that place and time. Old holiday decorations. Bridal magazines from 1997. (A clear indiction of why I'm cleaning.....)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home