Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My wedding day

...was the best time ever. I thought about it a lot today. My handsome groom looked so happy. Everyone danced, ate, drank, socialized, danced some more, and had a really nice time. I will cherish every memory of that day forever and ever.

I thought about the wedding quite a bit today.

Those thoughts were jostled into mind by thoughts of the distant future and wondering how it will turn out. The verdict overall: it will be happy. I love my husband more than words can explain using common English verbiage. He is like the other half of my soul so to speak.

And, we've been together through thick and thin already. We've had times we were both out of work at the same time. We've been through births and deaths of loved ones. We've adopted animals, lost animals, Had money, been broke. Been healthy, been sick. And through it all, we've stayed happy.

A coworker came over to my desk today, and out of the clear blue, said to me, "I don't know how old you are, but while you are young, do everything you can to get out of the car business. When you get old like me, there might be nothing left."

And he's right.

There are so many things about the Asian automotive market that I'd love to write editorials on DAILY, in hopes that every single American citizen driving around in a Toyota could at least peer into my perspective. I would certainly welcome a peek into his/hers as well. I may be opinionated, but I'm fair.

However, that can't happen for fear of getting dooced. I'm lucky to have my job, and not a single day goes by that I'm not sincerely thankful for it. Even the days I don't enjoy being there.

So of course I tried to be comforting to this coworker, and said, "____, you are still a young man. You're crazy. You could easily start a new career if you were so inclined. You are only as old as you are willing to feel."

He chuckled and revealed his age.

Same age as my father.

Who, incidentally, was laid off from one of the big three last week, and has to start a new career. With three children at home.

And thankfully, most importantly, he's married to the other half of his soul too. Someone who he's been through far more with than my husband and I have faced. Yet they've always been happy. What a shining example. Of how to live, what's important, and what to drive.

Do you buy American? Why or why not? (All opinions welcome, I promise.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home